The Pagan Path

Those who wonder are not lost; they are trying to awaken! 'The Sleeper must awaken!'

Friday, August 21, 2009

Are we seeking other gods?

The first question we should ask ourselves is, 'what is a god?' According to the Merriam-Webster On-line Dictionary; a 'god' is 'a being or object believed to have more than natural attributes and powers and to require human worship; specifically : one controlling a particular aspect or part of reality'. I have recently been involved in a discussion with a good friend concerning the disputable 'fact' that many 'Christians' look to the Government, whether local or Federal, as 'god'. My contention is that this depends upon the attitude that you have toward any given object. If, for instance; this object is 'a person or thing of supreme value' ( in one's eyes ), then yes; it could well be defined a 'god'. I am going to 'let my guard down' a little, and 'level' with my readers: I am on disability, receiving a monthly check from the Government! I am also on a State-run program that helps to care for my 'needs'! I may get more feedback on this than I was looking for; but am I seeking after other gods? Am I looking to the Federal Government and the State for my sustenance, for my needs'? You'll have to take my word for it ( unless you know me in person ); I'm not! I know ( realize ) that ultimately God is the Provider and Sustainer of all things, but I also know that God, more often than not, uses means, whether we agree with them or not, whether we think they're 'right' or not, to accomplish His purposes. Sure; there's the 'fact' that we're just spending our great-grandchildren's ( maybe even great-great, etc ) meager earnings ( somewhere down the road ) by taking advantage of these government programs, but it comes down to 'Who's in control?' One might also object conscientiously to this kind of thinking, saying something like I've written above; if that's the case, you had better not do it! To the Roman church; the apostle Paul wrote, 'Do you have faith?g']">[g] Have it to yourself before God. Happy is he who does not condemn himself in what he approves. But he who doubts is condemned if he eats, because he does not eat from faith; for whatever is not from faith is sin.h']">[h]' ( Romans 14:22 & 23 ( Titus 3:11, James 4:17 ) I use myself as an example here; there are others who may think that it's wrong to 'steal' from our descendants ( however far down the road ), and some may not look at it that way. I choose not to look at it that way, and therefore my conscience doesn't condemn me: I am merely using the means that God has given me to take care of my family and myself. Some people may still try to tell me that I'm doing wrong, and I may or may not be, but as long as God provides this 'means' for me, and as long as I 'need' it to take care of my family; I will continue to 'use' it!

in the love of Christ,
and in His service to His 'Kingdom',
Charles Shank

No comments: